Skip to main content

LOVE Thanksgiving - HATE Black Friday

  I Love Thanksgiving.  I love to spend the day cooking and being with my family and friends.  Thanksgiving.  Turkey, stuffing, greenbean casserole - apple pie, pumpkin pie (not my favorite)...and don't forget the cranberry sauce!  I love that there is one day of the year that most Americans sit back and think about what they are thankful for this year.  It's a day to be with the people you love the most.  Stuff your belly, have some laughs and just enjoy the company of your family and friends. 

  Thanksgiving marks the beginning of the 'Holiday Season'.....or at least it USED to.  It seems every year the holiday decorations, food, gift items, etc are out earlier and earlier and earlier....Before Halloween even!  Two of our local radio stations are already playing Christmas Music!!!  Really??  It's November 17th.....and I know that at least a week ago I heard Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer on my car radio.  PLEASE let me get to Thanksgiving before pushing Christmas at me.

  I started realizing why the push to rush Christmas.......Retail Greed.  That's it.  There's NO OTHER EXPLANATION.  None.  If there were, then Black Friday wouldn't be an 'unofficial' holiday that (as I just read in an article) 34% of consumers will participate in.  I HATE Black Friday.  I'm all for saving some money on some good deals, but I have no desire to fight ANYONE in the crowds for ANY item I may want to purchase, no matter how good the deal.  The meaning of Christmas gets lost because of Retail Greed.  Whether your meaning of Christmas is religious, or of giving (notice I said 'giving', not buying) of gifts and love to your family and friends, Retail Greed is starting to make Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa all about Spend Spend Spend..and stores are Eating it Up! 
 
  Now, don't get me wrong, I do buy things for Christmas.  I love to buy gifts for my family for Christmas.  I love making my kids' wishes come true.  I like to spoil them.  What I DON'T like is the Frantic Crazy atmosphere of Black Friday.....do people really need a $4 toaster????  They will sell out though....'cause it's a great deal!

  I guess this year Black Friday just isn't good enough....some retailers have decided to 'top' all others and open their stores on Thanksgiving.  WHAT???  What happened to a day where people can spend with their loved ones.  NOW some people have to go into work at Walmart, Target, MACY's, ToysRUs and whatever other stores decide that making a few extra dollars is worth more than spending time with family and friends.  I refuse. 

I will not shop on Black Friday, can't remember the last time I did.  But people will.....in fact, 34% of consumers will.  I, however, will be spending the day with my family, eating leftovers, watching movies and football...heck, I may stay in pajamas all day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That one house....

Have you ever driven by a house and just wanted to stop and knock on the front door and ask to look inside?  There have been a few for me.  There is one house right outside my subdivision.  It reminds me of the house in Hansel & Gretel.  I told my husband that if it ever went up for sale, I would be going to the open house.  Not that I want to buy it, I am just intrigued as to what it looks like inside. I imagine the inside being small, kind of minimal-like.  Nothing fancy or extravagant.  I picture a small country style kitchen with just enough cabinet space for the essentials.  Maybe a small jelly cabinet in the corner and a butcherblock cutting table.  To finish off, there would be an old style refrigerator.  I picture the upstairs as an attic with lots of opportunity!  I would love to have an attic that is 'livable' and not just full of insulation and random forgotten boxes.  Maybe have it be like a small library, or den.  A quiet get away. The back yard, from wha

Lists

Lists.  Places we want to go, things we'd like to do, things we HAVE to do.  I am an occassional list maker.  I actually wish I was more consistent in my list making.  I find that I am much more productive and organized when I have things written in front of me....I can see progress as well as procrastination.  As I was thinking about lists, I realized, I probably need to make a list of the lists I need to make or keep......

Opinions.......Everyone has their own.....

Opinions.  You've heard the saying - Everyone has one, and they all Stink!  Why is that?  Many people believe if you don't have the same opinion as them, you are wrong.  No, you aren't wrong, you just think differently. With all the hot topics out there that can have varying opinions, no one can be right about everything.  Everyone has a right to their own opinion on any topic or news story.  I read a lot of news on the Internet.  I also read a lot of comments ON the news on the Internet.....  Many of the comments bother me because they are so negative pointed to the person the article is about.  Regardless of the topic, people can find negativity in virtually EVERYTHING.  It's ridiculous.  Why is it that people can't just be happy for people of fame and move on? Katie Couric - doesn't she have a right to decided to change jobs?  Why are there so many people that just want to trash her anonymously on the Internet??  Is it jealousy?  Do they PERSONALLY know